General FAQ’s About Mold
Question: What if I suspect mold but cannot find it?
Answer. First thing to do is to look where there has been previous water passage damages. Stagnant water and places with lots of humidity can cause molds. Though not that often, visible mold growth can sometimes be found underneath materials where water has damaged surfaces or behind walls. Better keep all water containers properly checked and closed to avoid molds. Through away unnecessary containers and always change the water in your flower vases.
Question: How much mold can make me sick?
Answer: It depends on the situation. Sometimes, relatively small number of mold spores can cause health problems to people who has low stamina. For other people, it may take lots of mold consumption before getting illnesses from molds contamination. The basic rule is, if you can see or smell it, take steps to eliminate the excess moisture DO household clean-up by removing first the molds before it penetrate in your house and do more damage to health and safety of your family. Porous substances that are growing mold should be thrown out.
Question: What symptoms do molds commonly cause?
Answer: There are several illness caused by molds but not that distinguishable. One and the most common symptom of mold infection is irritation. When a person is being exposed to molds, he keeps on rubbing and scratching his eyes and nose. Another symptom is he will find it hard to breath since upper breathing passage is being block by the molds. Thus, burning eyes, nasal congestion, coughing, and post-nasal drip can be an indication that the person has been exposed to molds.
Here are some information about mold invasion in ones body:
- Allergy. Some people who are allergic to mold may develop hay fever or asthma. Common symptoms of allergies caused by mold are itchy, watery eyes, nasal congestion, sneezing, chest tightness, cough and wheezing.
- Toxins. Some chemicals created by molds are toxic. While much remains unknown about mold toxins, it appears that some molds produce toxins that can have negative effects on the skin, the respiratory system, the immune system, and the nervous system.
- Infection. Some molds can also cause infection. Infectious mold can cause chronic sinus infections. There are also types of mold which can cause induced infection. Although this type is not common, it can still affect people with weakened immune systems. HIV infected individuals; those who are receiving chemotherapy sessions; and the elderly people would likely acquire infections from molds. Children and pregnant women may also be at increased risk of being infected.
Question: Are some molds more hazardous than others?
Answer: The sensitivity towards mold varies in different individuals. Amount and type needed to cause reactions must be considered. In addition, there is a certain type of molds which can produce toxins called mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are not always being produced. Molds can only produce toxic chemicals depending on where the mold is growing on; weather conditions such as temperature, pH, humidity ; or other unknown factors. When mycotoxins are present, they occur in both living and dead mold spores and may be present in materials that have become contaminated with molds.
Question: What can I save? What should I throw away?
Answer: In general, porous substances where molds are starting to grow must be thrown away. This substances refer to papers, rags, wallboard, and rotten wood. Harder materials such as glass, plastic, or metal can be kept after they are cleaned and disinfected. Always remember to make a routine inspection of places where molds would likely inhibit to avoid infestations and illnesses of the family members.